Acute and chronic back pain are the most common complaints of people who visit osteopathy clinics near them. We used to associate relief from pain and discomfort to painkillers; medications that deliver fast results. Although sometimes potent and effective, painkillers may also be harmful over time. Dependency issues and impaired organ system functioning; such as of the liver and kidneys are possible outcomes of such pain management practices.
What is an osteopath good for?
So how can we experience pain relief and enhanced comfort levels when we experience back pain? The field of osteopathy aims to provide effective solutions for back pain through its unique system of osteopathic manipulative therapy (OMT).
One of the unique elements of osteopathy as an alternative medicine field is that it aims to treat the entire human body as opposed to symptoms and illness management. The primary focus of osteopathy is management and treatment of the musculoskeletal system in order to achieve optimum health and wellness.
What types of back-pain related conditions are treated at an osteopathy clinic?
The causes of back pain differs from person to person. According to osteopathy clinics that look after patients with back pain as the primary complaint, the most common reasons why acute and chronic back pain occur are due to the following:
- Injury or accident
- Improper posture
- Sitting for an extended period of time
- Repeated stress injury
- Strenuous physical activities
- Existing medical conditions
- Emotional stress
- Muscle strain
Patients often seek the help of an osteopathic doctor when the pain becomes unbearable. After careful examination and observation, an osteopath will prescribe a treatment that is aimed to alleviate the pain, restore balance, improve posture and induce the body’s natural healing abilities.
The most common osteopathic treatment strategies include the following:
- The use of traction to reduce strain and pressure on the discs and nerves along the back region. Traction usually provides a sensation of relief especially in the back muscles.
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment includes body massage techniques that are meant to adjust the spinal tissues. The hands are the only tools used and certain levels of pressure are used on the back muscles and joints.
- Counter-force techniques aim to release pressure that have accumulated within muscles and joints over time. Patients are required to actively participate during treatment by moving certain muscles against the force applied.
There are other osteopathic treatment practices for back pain, and implementation will depend on your individual circumstances and other factors. If you want to schedule an appointment with us, just give us a call on 03 9663 5450 today.