If you are curious about what to expect during an osteopath visit, this article will be extremely helpful when scheduling an appointment with a trusted osteopath in Melbourne.
So what really happens during an osteopathy clinic visit? But before we discuss that, here is what you need to remember before you schedule an appointment:
- Make sure that the osteopathy clinic is a duly registered business and the osteopaths are suitably qualified. You can check all licenses and registration online.
- An osteopathy clinic in Melbourne should be able to provide sufficient information about the services they offer as well as the cost of available treatments. It is important to know these things before your appointment so you understand all costs involved.
- Osteopaths should be able to give you details of their license and registration. You can verify this information with the Osteopathy Board of Australia.
During a visit, here are the common steps that you will encounter:
The initial consultation with an osteopath will be primarily focused on learning about the patient and his or her condition. Your first visit will last approximately 30minutes.
It consists of the following activities:
- The osteopath will ask questions about your general health, previous and existing medical conditions, medications, and other information that may be pertinent to providing suitable treatment.
- Comprehensive examination by the osteopath. You will be asked to perform certain movements and stretches to assess your posture and mobility.
- Manual examination of joints, tissues, and ligaments through palpation.
- If the osteopath detects serious condition beyond the scope of his or her practice, you will then be referred to other members of the healthcare team.
Osteopathic Treatment and Diagnosis
An osteopath specialises in the assessment, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders and other related medical conditions. After a thorough examination and assessment, your osteopath should be able to provide you with a clear explanation of your condition and discuss the best treatment plan. The benefits and risks of actions taken will be discussed as well as other pertinent information such as frequency, expectations during the procedures, and the associated costs of treatments.
Treatment and management interventions will involve hands-on or manual manipulation of the intended joints, muscles and soft tissues. During treatments, an osteopath should be able to explain what they are doing to you, too. You are free to ask your osteopath if you have any concerns before, during, and after treatments.
Book your initial consultation with the best osteopath in Melbourne. Call our direct line on 03 9663 5450 today.