Headache may not seem like a major problem, but for those who suffer from chronic headaches or migraine attacks, the condition lowers their quality of life. There are many causes of headaches and identifying triggers enables medical practitioners to treat and manage them accordingly.
Research suggests osteopathic manipulative therapy, a vital component of osteopathy has been revealed to be effective in the treatment and management of headaches. In this article, we will enumerate three tried-and-tested osteopathic treatment systems that work for patients suffering from headaches.
How does one eradicate pain and discomfort of headaches through osteopathy?
To improve the overall well-being of a headache sufferer, osteopathic manipulative treatment in a timely manner may be helpful. Osteopathic techniques also alleviate headache symptoms, thus making it easier for patients to return to their normal routine.
- Cervical soft tissue massage of the paraspinal tissues helps reduce spasms among patients suffering from tension headache.
- The osteopathic manipulative technique of using pressure on triggerpoints is effective at headache relief by adding pressure at the base of the occiput using the fingertips. This is an effective treatment for migraines.
- Myofascial unwinding is an osteopathic manipulative treatment that manually unwinds the fascia and connective tissues of the neck, shoulders and occipital muscles.
Are there other ways to treat headaches?
Lifestyle considerations that you should include into your routine can significantly reduce the incidence of headaches or migraine attacks. In addition, such positive changes into one’s daily routine can improve overall well-being, too.
- Osteopaths believe that treating the cause and not the symptoms are central to successful headache pain relief. The manipulative techniques used by osteopaths aim to promote healing via the body’s natural self-healing process.
- Osteopaths are licensed to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal disorders. In the event of more serious medical conditions, they are bound to refer patients to traditional medical practitioners for proper treatment. Working with other healthcare professionals ensure that the cause as well as symptoms of headaches are identified and managed accordingly.
To learn more about osteopathic techniques for headaches and migraines, give us a call now. To schedule an appointment, call us on 03 9663 5450 today.